Planting Companion Herbs in your Herb Garden is a good start towards natural pest control.
Select your companion herbs based on more than which pests are deterred.
The idea that herbs make good companion plants has been around a long time. Some of the earliest written documents on gardening discuss the relationship between herbs and other herb garden plants and vegetables.
- Ask yourself what each plant adds or takes away from the soil.
- Think of the effect that the proximity of strong herbs may have on the flavor of your vegetables.
- Also consider root depth and the draw each plant has on garden fertility.
- Try to keep rows of hungry plants spread throughout your herb garden.
- Think of what you might plan to sow in the same spot next year.
Give serious thought to the use of companion plants as another form of positive organic pest control.
- Angelica - Avoid Dill - no known pests repelled
- Basil - Likes Tomatoes, dislikes Rue - Repels flies, Mosquitoes
- Borage - Likes Tomatoes, Strawberries, Squash - Repels Tomato Worm
- Caraway - Loosens the soil; avoid Dill - No pests repelled
- Calendula - Deters Most insects
- Catnip - Companion to Eggplant - Repels Flea Beetle, Ants
- Chamomile - Cabbage, Onion - No pests repelled
- Coriander - No Companion - It repels Aphids
- Chervil - Companion to Radish - no pests repelled
- Chives - Companion to Carrots - no pests repelled
- Dill - Cabbage, carrots and caraway all dislike Dill!
- Fennel - Most plants dislike this herb!
- Feverfew - Companion to Roses - It attracts aphids away from Roses
- Garlic - Likes Roses, Raspberries,
Tomatoes - Repels Japanese Beetle, Aphids
- Horseradish - Companion to Potatoes - Repels Potato Bug
- Hyssop - Likes Cabbage, Grapes, not radishes - Repels Cabbage Moth
- Lavender - No interaction
- Marigolds - Repels Mexican Bean Beetles, Nematodes
- Mint - Likes Cabbage, Tomatoes - Repels White cabbage moth, aphids, flea beetles
- Nasturtium - Likes Radishes, Cabbage - Repels Aphids, Squash Bugs, Striped Pumpkin Beetle
- Pennyroyal - Likes Roses - Repels Flies, Mosquitoes, Fleas!
- Radish - Deters Cucumber Beetle
- Rosemary - Plant near Cabbage, Bean, Carrot
- Rue - Near Roses, dislikes sweet basil - Repels Japanese Beetles
- Sage - Likes Rosemary, repels Cabbage Moth, Carrot Fly, Bean Beetle
- Summer Savory - Plant with Beans - Repels Bean Beetles
- Tansy - Deters Japanese Beetle, striped cucumber beetle, squash bugs, ants
- Thyme - Should accompany Cabbage - Repels Cabbage Moth and worm
- Yarrow - Plant near aromatic herbs to boost production of essential oils